Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Flower Experiments


I've been doing more Watercolor Bloom Flower Experiments.  Alisa Burke tells us how important it is that we really play with our supplies and understand what they can do.  We won't like all of them (or maybe even many of them), but we'll find a couple of things that we really do like, and incorporate them into our art, making them our own.  This seems like good advice to me, although I rarely follow it.

What I learned:  
  • I don't like the gouache as much as the watercolor for this watery style.
  • I'm more comfortable with the round brushes than with the flat brushes for most things, but I do like holding the flat brush with the tip against the paper and making feathery marks.
  • The flat brush has some potential for diamond shape petals (like hydrangeas), but I need to practice this.
  • I like the flat brush for the gold flower below.  It makes nice white/light spots.  I took a session in flat brush strokes at the Westcoast Calligraphy Society last year, and learned this "ballet slipper" stroke.  It is useful for making bows and pinecones too. (See this post.)



No comments: