Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Upside Down Sketchbook Project

 
 
I saw this great idea on Andrea Joseph's blog, based on Betty Edwards great book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  Andrea's idea spoke to me because upside down drawing was one of my favorite exercises in the book, and also because I have three of the Dover Art Sticker Books.  I bought them about a hundred years ago without an idea of what to do with them.
 
My first attempt was dismal, but it will help to explain the project:
 
 
 
You stick the stickers on the left side pages, turn the book upside down, and copy the picture.  It works best if you don't know what the picture depicts; that way the left side of the brain can't engage and attempt to tell you how the picture should be drawn.   I wasn't able to quiet my left brain, but I'll keep trying, just copying the lines exactly as I see them.
 
A new project for a new year.  Happy New Year, everyone!
 


No comments: