Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Dome of the Rock


The Dome of the Rock, on Temple Mount in Jerusalem, is a shrine, not a mosque.  The "rock" is the rock from which Muhammed ascended to heaven.  To Jews, it is the rock on which Abraham prepared to sacrifice his son, Isaac.  Non-Muslims are not allowed inside to see the rock.

This sketch was inspired by Tommy Kane.  My sister gave me his book "An Excuse to Draw" for my birthday.  Now, I'm not saying that it comes close to the quality of Tommy Kane, but he does incredible drawings of buildings, capturing all of the detail.  I don't have the patience of Mr. Kane, and gave up long before capturing the mosaic tile on this one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love these pictures of the temple mount. You capture the jittery weirdness of the place.